Our School's Beginning
Minor Hill School was founded in 1898 on a
donated tract of land. The steady growth of this one room school led to the
addition of a high school program in 1920. The first principal of Minor Hill
High School was Edd Ingram. Under his leadership and with the added support of
the community, the high school was built. During the following three decades
changes such as building improvements, consolidation of the elementary school,
and integration of races made Minor Hill High School one of Giles County's
More Recent History
January 9, 1969 most of the school was destroyed by fire and due to state
regulations the high school program could not be continued. A new school was
built in 1971 and served approximately 325 students in grades kindergarten
through nine. In 1978, a county-wide consolidation of schools moved the ninth
Giles County High School.
Even with this change, enrollment in Minor Hill School increased to about 440
students that year. Building additions were made at that time and again in 1983.
A 1990 renovation added twelve new classrooms to the campus and in 2002, Minor
Hill School is once again under construction.
Back to MHS