The building that now houses
Bridgeforth Middle School, located on the northern border of Pulaski's
city limits, was completed in 1959 and became the new home of the black
high school in Giles County. Named for one of Giles County's first black
educators, J. T. Bridgeforth, the school housed grades 9-12 from
1959-1965 with J. P. Lewis serving as principal.
In 1965, after integration of the
county schools, Bridgeforth High School became Pulaski Junior High
School, enrolling grades seven through nine. Charles Brewer was named
In 1978, Pulaski Junior High became
Bridgeforth Middle School, regaining its original Bridgeforth name.
Grades five through eight became the enrolled grades. After this change,
the school gained an assistant principal, Miss Ethel Holt. She served in
that capacity until she retired in 1984.
In 1976, the original building was
almost doubled in size to alleviate over-crowding in school. Again in
1990, the building had a face-lift with the library being doubled in
size, classrooms modified for the special education program, and
physical education facilities remodeled.
In 1991, Bridgeforth Middle School was
granted accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and
In the spring of 1991 Charles Brewer
retired after 25 years as principal of Pulaski Junior High and
Bridgeforth Middle School. That fall
the school opened
with a new principal, J. B. Smith, III, overseeing a school comprised of the
6th, 7th, and 8th grades. The 5th grade had moved to Southside
During 2000 - 2001 another building
program was completed. A large, modern band room was added
at the north end of the building and two new classrooms were added at
the south end. The lunchroom was enlarged, and classrooms on the
6th-grade hall that had contained two classes were divided so that each
classroom is self-contained.
In July of 2004, Cathie White was
named Assistant Principal. This is Bridgeforth's first Assistant
Principal since Miss Holt's retirement in 1984.